I guess work for Samsung I5500 Galaxy Europa / Galaxy 5
Sameer Prabhakar - Mad Ramblings: Samsung I5700 (Galaxy SPICA) Android 2.1 Flashing Guide (Updated):
"***** USE THIS GUIDE AT YOUR OWN RISK ! *******
***** DO NOT BLAME ME FOR BRICKED DEVICES ******
What you need :
The firmware : I570EDDJB2 in my case. (Unreleased Android 2.1 (Eclair) firmware from Samsung).
Multiloader application and Spica OPS (Odin_v4_03.exe + spica.ops) : Odin_v4_03.zip
*** Please use the new spica_jc3.ops file for the firmwares I5700XXJBA, I570EXXJC3 I570EXXJC5
Drivers for I5700 : drv5700.zip
Samsung USB Cable
Before you start :
Backup your data !
Remove the SIM lock if any.
Create a folder and extract all files listed above + the firmware (do not extract the tar file from within the firmware)
Ensure your phones battery is sufficiently charged (and your laptops battery too if you live in a country like ours lol ;-))
Shutdown any service/software which could be using the USB port, especially the Samsung PC suite. - Very Important
Edit : You should probably do a hard reset before you start by punching in the following code on the phone *2767*3855#
1. Shutdown your phone and remove the SDCARD and the SIM
2. Put the phone in 'Download Mode' by pressing Volume Down + Camera + Power button.
Image Courtesy : samdroid.net
3. Connect the Phone to the PC using USB
4. Install drivers using the drv5700 files- A lot of guys are going wrong here. Open your device manager and ensure the two Samsung devices are shown properly before you go ahead.(circled in red) - see image below :
4a. Disconnect phone from the USB. *** (Very Important), thanks to Srikanth Kapa (For all you guys having problems with 'Setup Connection'
5. Open Odin Multi Downloader v4.03.exe and then reconnect the phone, you should see the a COM port number with a yellow background.
6. Select the files as shown in the image below :
Image Courtesy : samdroid.net
If you are using some other firmware and there is only one tar file select Option : One Package and load the file under One Package TAB.
Cross check the files and if you need to change anything click on 'Reset Files' and select files again.
7. Once you are ready hit the START button. DO NOT DISCONNECT the phone until the firmware download completes.
8.Watch the 'Message: window and wait till it shows <1> Close serial port and wait until rebooting.- This usually takes not more than 1-3 minutes.
9. At this point your flashing is complete and the device should be automatically rebooting, once the reboot is complete unplug the USB cable and flick open the Eclair green locking slider ;-)
Congrats !!! Welcome to the delicious ECLAIR club :-)
Google Maps seems to be a bit temperamental (Upgraded to ver 4.0.0 from the new 2.1 Market). Phone has hung a couple of times but nothing really serious.
New Features :
Multiple Accounts Support
Exchange Support - No Calendar support or GAL lookup.
Camera now has Scene mode, White balance, Color effect
Search across the device including SMS/MMS
HTML5 Support in the browser.
Hopefully Samsung will include pinch and zoom in the final release version :-)
Thanks to the guys at :
Screen Shots :
- Sent using Google Toolbar"