[HOWTO] Create a GoldCard - Bypassing the RUU/SPL CID check to Root/Downgrade - xda-developers: "[HOWTO] Create a GoldCard - Bypassing the RUU/SPL CID check to Root/Downgrade
If you are stuck on a ROM you don't like (t-mobile/asian carrier etc.) you can use this howto to create a goldcard to bypass the CID checks so you can downgrade and root your Hero.
01. Download QMAT 5.06 here
It’s a demo version so will only run for 10 minutes.
02. Format your SD card to FAT32. Please keep in mind some brands of SD cards do not work.
03. Use adb to run this command: adb shell cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:*/cid
04. Copy the SD card cid code displayed after the adb command.
05. Start Qmat and Click on Cyptoanalysis Tools > Crypto Toolbox.
06. Look at the bottom, there is a text box (beside the “Reverse String” button) enter the SD card cid code you got earlier.
Click on the “Reverse String” button, the result is reversed…
07. Copy the reversed SD card cid code.
08. Go to QMAT goldcard site here to generate your goldcard (yes it says for G1 but works for our Hero too).
09. Enter your email. For the correct SD card cid code, you need to replace the first 2 characters to 00.
Example: From “532600bd227d9c0347329407514d5402” to “002600bd227d9c0347329407514d5402”
10. Click Continue and you will receive the goldcard.img in .zip format in your email.
11. Go to your email, download the zip file and save it to a directory and unzip it to goldcard.img
12. Download HxD Hex Editor from here
13. Install and launch HxD Hex Editor program. (make sure you use 'Run as Administrator' under Vista and win 7)
14. Go to Extra tab > Open Disk. Under Physical disk, select Removable Disk (Must be your SD card), uncheck “Open as Readonly), click OK.
15. Go to Extra again, Open Disk Image, open up goldcard.img which you’ve saved/unzipped earlier.
Now, you should have two tabs, one is your removable disk, the other is goldcard.img. Press OK when prompted for “Sector Size” 512 (Hard disks/Floppy disks), click OK.
16. Click on goldcard.img tab. Go to Edit tab > Select All, edit tab again > copy.
17. Click on the “removable disk” tab. Select offset 00000000 till offset 00000170 (including the 00000170 line), click on Edit tab and then Paste Write.
18. Click on File > Save. now you can exit the program.
19. Reboot your phone with this SD Card (now GoldCard) inside
20. Use the Official HTC RUU to downgrade to 2.73.405.5 (which you can get here) from which you can fastboot boot and/or root your phone with flashrec.
Original heads up by tangzq with link to this
That site used the XDA Sapphire goldcard howto here
And apparently myself and XDA as this builds on the HTC knowledge from the old days (here)
- Sent using Google Toolbar"